Take care of a good extension cord and it will last for years.
Break it in correctly, keep it clean and dry, and store it out of direct sunlight and it will have a long and useful life.
Here are some useful tips
- A new cable should be completely uncoiled and left out in the sun for a few hours. The exposure to sunlight will allow the cable to warm up and relax the rubber in the jacket.
- Suspend the cable from both ends so that the cable is lifted above the floor. This gentle stretching of the jacket and conductors will make coiling easier later.
- Coil your cable with an underhand/overhand motion that doesn’t go against the twisting of the copper conductors.
- Use a cable wrap or a piece of tie line to secure the ends of the cable into a coil.
- Never store an extension cord without removing knots,
Harrison Bros. Inc.